A Coming-of-Age Story, Presented by tonebase
The guitar and piano: two instruments prized for their versatility and harmonic capacity, yet whose histories are almost entirely independent.
Join acclaimed performers and educators Benjamin Laude and Mircea Gogoncea as they trace the guitar’s and piano’s parallel lineages back three centuries, charting their respective coming-of-age stories and searching for moments of intersection and cross-pollination.
Featuring the music of Bach, Scarlatti, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, Scriabin, Granados, Ñico Rojas, Leo Brouwer, and Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco.
First-prize winner of the 2018 Havana International Guitar Competition, tonebase Artist Mircea Gogoncea is one of the leading classical guitarists and educators of his generation. Head of Piano at tonebase, Benjamin Laude is a concert pianist and educator whose playing has been praised by the New York Times as “superb in pace, tone, and eloquence.”
tonebase is a premiere online music education platform whose mission is to democratize access to the highest-level music instruction around the world, so that anyone can learn from the best. For more information, visit tonebase.co.
PART 1: 18TH CENTURY PRECURSORS
Exploring the seminal keyboard and plucked strings instruments of the Baroque
- J.S. BACH: Partita in E minor, BWV 830 – Corrente
- J.S. BACH: Suite in E minor, BWV 996 – Prelude, Presto, and Allemande
- D. SCARLATTI: Sonata in E major, K. 380 (guitar)
- D. SCARLATTI: Sonata in E Major, K. 380 (piano)
PART 2: "THE LONG 19TH CENTURY" AND PIANO'S COMING OF AGE
On the flowering of Romantic pianism, fin-de-siècle cosmopolitanism and crisis
- BEETHOVEN: Sonata, Op. 109 – I. Vivace
- CHOPIN: Scherzo No. 3, Op. 39
- DEBUSSY La Sérénade interrompue
- SCRIABIN: Prelude, Op. 16 No. 4
PART 3: "THE LONG 20TH CENTURY” AND GUITAR'S COMING OF AGE
On the contribution of Hispanic and Latin American traditions, pluralism and popular culture
- SCRIABIN: Prelude, Op. 16 No. 4 (transcribed by Alexandre Tansman)
- GRANADOS: Valses Poeticos
- ÑICO ROJAS: ‘Guajira a mi Madre’
- LEO BROUWER: Tres Danzas Concertantes – Andantino
- CASTELNUOVO-TEDESCO: Fantasia, Op. 145 – II. Vivacissimo
MusiCares helps the humans behind music because music gives so much to the world. Offering preventive, emergency, and recovery programs, MusiCares is a safety net supporting the health and welfare of the music community. Founded by the Recording Academy in 1989 as a U.S. based 501(c)(3) charity, MusiCares safeguards the well-being of all music people through direct financial grant programs, networks of support resources, and tailored crisis relief efforts. For more information please visit: www.musicares.org
Your DREAMSTAGE ticket supports artists to continue making the music you love. One ticket lets an entire household share the experience together.